Introduction: Relationship Networking to Excel in Your Career
Networking is a powerful business tool that can help build relationships with people that can help you advance your career. There are many different types of networking, but the most effective type is relationship networking. Relationship networking involves building relationships with people who can help you achieve your goals. These relationships can be with clients, customers, recruiters, coworkers, or other professionals in your field.
What is Relationship Networking?
Modern relationship networking in 2022 involves building meaningful connections with people who are likely to be able to help you achieve your goals. It is important to identify the right people and focus on developing relationships with them. You should seek out individuals who are connected to your target market or industry, or who have the resources you need.
The Benefits of Relationship Networking
One of the best things about relationship networking is that it’s not just about finding a job. It’s also a great way to learn about new opportunities, get career advice, and find mentors. In fact, one study conducted by Hubspot found that 85% of jobs are never advertised. Instead, they are filled through those in their network.
Sure beats your average Indeed search, huh?
Sidenote: Staffing Agencies can be a great way to capitalize on networks, as well as hear about unlisted opportunities, without having to build an entire network on your own.
Where To Go To Engage In Relationship Networking
To truly get the most out of relationship networking in 2022 you’ll want to ensure you’re in the right place, meeting the right people. While plenty of social gatherings have migrated to online platforms like Zoom, Google Meet and the likes, it’s still a fantastic idea to add that extra layer of personal interaction by attending in-person events, if you feel comfortable with doing so.
More often than not, you can find a whole slew of these in-person events on websites like Eventbrite, Meetup, and plenty of others. Beyond the previously listed websites, though, here are a few places that we would highly suggest beginning your search for relationship networking events:
- Chamber of Commerce events – these events are usually hosted by the local Chamber of Commerce and are a great place to meet other business owners in your area
- Local business associations – most cities have a few different business associations that you can join. These groups usually meet once a month and offer a great opportunity to network with other local professionals.
- Industry-specific groups – if you’re looking to network with professionals in your industry, there are likely several industry-specific groups that meet regularly in your city. This is a great way to find potential clients, recruiters, or employees in roles similar to yours.
How To Level Up Your Relationship Networking in 2022
While relationship networking can be incredibly effective in giving your career a much needed boost, it can also be a bit daunting if you don’t know the in’s and out’s. Here are a few tips to make your networking a successful, productive experience in your career advancement:
- Do your research. Know who will be in attendance and do some digging on their businesses before you go. This will help you come up with conversation starters and show that you’re interested in what they do.
- Go with a goal in mind. Whether you’re looking for new clients, partners, or recruiters, have a specific goal in mind and be prepared to ask for what you want.
- Dress the part. First impressions are everything, so make sure you’re dressed appropriately for the event.
- Be interested in the other person. Make sure you are actually listening to what they are saying and ask questions about their interests.
- Don’t talk too much about yourself. This is certainly not to say never talk about yourself, but it can be easy to get carried away with talking about yourself, especially in the face of a desirable opportunity. But make sure you give the other person a chance to talk as well.
- Stay positive and upbeat. A bit of an obvious one, but always worth a reminder: no one wants to converse with the attendee that looks like they’d rather be just about anywhere else.
Follow these tips, and you’ll be making dream connections in no time!
Conclusion: The Importance of Relationship Networking in Your Career
Networking with people in your field is important for your career, regardless of what stage you are at. Forging and maintaining meaningful relationships with well connected people in your respective industry can be the difference between advancing in your career and stagnating.
In fact, launching an effective plan for relationship networking in 2022 may just be what your career needed to make that jump to the next level.
We wish you the best of luck!